Doctor or Acne Specialist?
Dermatologists are the logical first choice for the acne sufferer. There is a common pattern in the protocol used by most physicians for treating acne. Acne patients are given oral antibiotics, topical antibiotics, and/or a choice of prescription retinoids to try. Sometimes benzoyl peroxide will be recommended. If those treatments fail, physicians will often recommend a cycle of isotretinoin. For many acne sufferers, these methods have been met with frustration, and quite often abandoned.Research has shown that acne patients often do not adhere to physician-prescribed medication regimens. More frequent visits by patients are associated with increased compliance.
We can take the time with you that most physicians cannot. We will want to see you every two weeks for a two to three-month period of time to truly support your process in getting clear. If you are not local, we will want you to check in with us via email.A non-M.D. skincare professional can be incredibly effective without the use of any prescriptions.
Here is how we are different from a physician
- We educate you on lifestyle issues, drugs/medications, and comedogenic ingredients in makeup and skin care products that can exacerbate acne.
- We give you a strict home-care and treatment plan and follow up to make sure you understand what is expected of you.
- We assign a home-care regimen according to type and severity of your acne.
- We use formulations with mandelic/lactic acid, vitamin A propionate, and, to a lesser degree, glycolic and salicylic acid.
- We couple these with the systematic use of benzoyl peroxide, starting slowly so that your skin won’t get so irritated in the beginning.
As you work with us, we adjust your home-care regimen as your skin adapts.We coach you on the next steps in your home-care and assess the condition of your skin during your appointment to see whether it is ready for the next step. If it is, we adjust the frequency of usage of your home-care products, not allowing your skin to get used to your current routine. We do extractions every time you get a treatment with us, so that your skin gets clearer more quickly.
If you've been disappointed by the medical communities’ attempt(s) to get your skin clear, consider having an Acne Specialist help you to get rid of your acne.
Content provided courtesy of © Face Reality.